Rummaging through our "to-do" list, we stumbled across a reminder to note a few "Missing Stories". Forthwith, some stories that will be making news in the days ahead (and your nominees are welcome!)
France, "Non", and TINA - there is no alternative if France votes "Non" on the proposed EU constitution next May 29. Daniel Drezner is on this like a fedora on Matt Drudge; we will get worried if he does. And let's be fair - the Times has not ignored this (permalink not available).
The Dem's Contract With America - at some point, the lack of an alternative Democratic agenda had the potential to become mildly embarrassing - sure, they are against Bush's Social security reform, and his judges, but what are they for?
Now, via The Poorman, we see that Senate Dems have a nine-point plan. In their problematic intro, they warn us that "If Republicans proceed to pull the trigger on the nuclear option, Democrats will respond by employing existing Senate rules to push forward our agenda for America.”
Hold on! We are heartened to see that their "Metaphor Mangler" is in worse shape than our own, but really - shouldn't that be "Push the button" on the nuclear option? Won't this confusion about firearms and nuclear launch mechanisms cost the Dems much needed credibility on both guns and national security?
Oh, well. Here are the nine points. Perhaps a numerologist could tell me, why nine?
- Women’s Health Care. “The Prevention First Act of 2005” will
reduce the number of unintended pregnancies and abortions by increasing
funding for family planning and ending health insurance discrimination
against women. [Link]
- Veterans’ Benefits. “The Retired Pay
Restoration Act of 2005” will assist disabled veterans who, under
current law, must choose to either receive their retirement pay or
disability compensation. [Link]
- Fiscal Responsibility. Democrats will move to restore fiscal discipline to government spending and extend the pay-as-you-go requirement. [Link]
- Relief at the Pump. Democrats plan to halt the diversion of oil from the markets to the strategic petroleum reserve. By releasing oil from the reserve through a swap program, the plan will bring down prices at the pump. [Link]
- Education. Democrats have a bill that will: strengthen head start and child care programs, improve elementary and secondary education, provide a roadmap for first generation and low-income college students, provide college tuition relief for students and their families, address the need for math, science and special education teachers, and make college affordable for all students. [Link]
- Jobs. Democrats will work in support of legislation that guarantees overtime pay for workers and sets a fair minimum wage. [Link]
- Energy Markets. Democrats work to prevent Enron-style market manipulation of electricity. [Link]
- Corporate Taxation. Democrats make sure companies pay their fair share of taxes to the U.S. government instead of keeping profits overseas. [Link]
- Standing with our troops. Democrats believe that putting America’s security first means standing up for our troops and their families. [Link]
On point 4, Laughter at the Pump, we will recycle the Times editorial from roughly one year ago, which mocked Dems for pandering on gasoline prices and raiding the SPR. C'mon, the Dems are the party of conservation and higher gasoline prices - get over it.
UPDATE: Harmonic (Con)Fusion: yesterday, Ron Brownstein of the LA Times told us that "Internet, Polarized Politics Create an Opening for a Third Party".
Today, careful readers have noticed that Sen. Harry Reid's press release is titled:
Deomcrats Moving Forward With Promise Of America Agenda
Who are these "Deomcrats?!? And are they any relation to "Dummycrats" or "Dimmycrats"?
Maybe someone on Reid's crisp, professional staff ought to install "SpellChuck".
UPDATE 2: The MinuteMan gets results! An alert staffer has fixed the typo, thereby spoiling my afternoon. But they can't take away my morning!
And someone equally alert on the other side has saved a screen shot. (Not that it proves anything in this Photoshop world....)
LAST GASP - Props to valued commenter "Appalled Moderate" for tracking down links to the Dem agenda.